Trim and the Bf109

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Trim and the Bf109

Postby Quasar on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Hello again,
I enjoy flying the Bf-109 series aircraft. Due to the massive engine torque, I try to trim the aircraft using the aileron trim and rudder trim with little effect. I have tried to trim the aircraft with the easy settings on to be sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong and have found that there is little, if no effect at all.
Is there something I can do that will help control the aircraft unloaded, that is, with no joystick controlling, that will allow for unloaded flight? or is the BF109 such an aircraft that when full throttle is applied there is nothing to do for the torque?
This is something that I am getting used to. I would like to fly without using auto pilot to keep in formation, but having to make constant controller input is sometimes frustrating.
If there are trim surfaces on the Bf109, which ones are there? I have read that the Bf109 does not have have an elevator trim. Also, if I do trim the aircraft, how many times must I press the buttons to trim(the default is CTRL+left arrow key).
Thanks for your support.
Quasar
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:19 am

:D In this case you could press it till you went to the old folks home and it wouldn't change the fact that the Bf109 only has elevator trim ;) - you can hold the key down instead off pressing numerous times too :) It's a constant action - not like raise/lower gear manual where you have to "pump" as it were ;)
The Bf 109's don't have rudder/aeleron trim in real life either - the pilots used to set trim tabs before takeoff. I know - information is sometimes very hard to find; check out http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#001 on page 14 (cockpit layout) no.23 is the elevator trim in the Bf109 - you won't find trim for rudder/aeleron. :)

It's sooo cruel they don't tell you these things up-front :D

I do agree the 109 is a great plane; It's one of the few that can pass under a pedestrian railway bridge ;) Good strategy if you want to get someone off your tail :D It's best to maintain your E in German planes and not get into a T &B fight.
I found the fastest way to determine if a plane has trim is to park it on the runway, zoom in on external view and see if the control surface moves when applying trim (there is a delay between applying trim and the surface moving).

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Willy on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:15 am

MaXMhZ wrote:I do agree the 109 is a great plane; It's one of the few that can pass under a pedestrian railway bridge ;) Good strategy if you want to get someone off your tail :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: gotta give that one a shot Max :D :D :D
Willy
Pilot Officer

Postby Luckyboy1 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:58 pm

I can and have followed 109's through that manuver in a P-51, but I lose my rudder while doing it. Oddle enough, with the rudder gone, the plane's faster! :smt075
Read Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users...

Luckyboys Guide

For all your hardware needs...

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:42 pm

That's great LB I'd like to see you fly your P51 flying-wing someday :D I once shaved off half of the wings of a FW190 (flying through a ship's cables)- It wasn't faster, and didn't fly very far either ;) although it did fly lol

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Yeah, I was screwing around one day doing inverted loops of bridges and I tagged the rudder to the ground and it ripped off. While it did take the turn fighting option right out of the deal, I found that suddenly as I remember and maybe not correctly, I was now a couple KPH faster than a 190 instead of slower by the same margin. The 190 pilots were smart as usual and just put the nose flat and hit the throttle when they saw me coming. After all, who would be so retarded as to chase after a 190 if you are missing a major part of your bird?! You guessed it!... I was! As Bluto said in the movie "Animal House"...

and we're just the guys to do it! :smt027

And again, after all, who's gonna look to make sure I've still got a rudder?!

I climbed right up on all four of 'em and shot those flying tanks to pieces at short range. To this day, I'm sure all four of 'em think I was using some sort of a cheat! :smt058

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby Quasar on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks to all.
I thought something was afoot. I think the cannon on the Bf109g-10 is a little bit misleading, I hit a P51 with the 30mm and there was a great explosion. I thought surely that was it for him and lost SA then having him take me out!
This is truly a fantastic simulation. That is so awesome that you can see the plane surfaces move with setting the trim. I recall a game, whose name I wont mention here ;) that when you applied elevator there absolutely was no movement at all on the Bf109G series.
Sometimes I think I get too into the sim, as I will talk to my squadmates even though I havent got the team speak accessory as of yet.
Also, if you have seen the great movie "Battle of Britian," I find myself going "Boom se Daisy" while landing. I guess life as a newbie is a harrowing life. :)
Also, I have found that when learning to fly and to be honest, really learning how to use Energy is best while learning to fly the A6M Zero and the Hurricane. You really have to know your combat maneuvers, ie. the yo-yos, the lags, the art of using defensive maneuvers as offensive maneuvers, etc.
Thanks for all the info, this has been invaluable to new pilots like myself.
PS. I am greatly looking forward to the new Battle of Britian. I hope there will be Do-17's and Lancasters, not necessarily for piloting, but just to have there. I dont want to start a wish list.
anyHOO, see yuh later
Quasar
Corporal

Postby Quasar on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:33 pm

whoops, I just read the article about BoB and there will be AI Do-17s. I also recall that the Lancasters didnot participate in the Battle of Britain. I dont think. I could be mistaken.
Quasar
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:57 pm

I don't know if the lanc actualy participated in the battle, but it surely flew at the time and I would love to have it in the game - with the "Grand Slam
32000 pounder :D

here's a very nice site about the Lanc:
http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/lancbomber.html

If you like the movie - try to find a copy of "Dark Blue World" - you'll surely love it to bits. It's got great aerial action in it - they even used some left-over bombing footage from BoB :) best ww2 movie IMHO

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:05 pm

There are NO defensive manuvers. Defensive manuvers are for destroyers when they intentionally run into a torpedo or mine field so the aircraft carrier can avoid it! With combat aircraft, everything is offensive including running away sometimes. The 190's I was talking about were doing correctly and not trying to turn fight with me. They were going to back off and then come straight at me when I tired of losing the chase.

Always think offensively. Just ask anyone around here... my thoughts are quite often viewed as offensive! :smt071

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum