help with prop pitch control

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

help with prop pitch control

Postby Quasar on Mon May 22, 2006 6:02 pm

Hello,
I am playing realistic difficulty setting and I am using the prop pitch control with the bf109 F and G series aircraft. I have read that in combat you should use as much throttle allowed(ie. tyring not to overheat) with adjusting the prop to achieve maximum performance generally at around 2800-3000 rpms. The IL2 community created manual says that this will increase speed. I havent seen much difference than just letting it be, at auto pitch. I thought I was doing something wrong, and decided to use this when climbing to altitude to see if there was any noticable difference, and noticed that my airspeed actually started to fall off when using about 95%. This was very startling to me and I'm beginning to think that this was simply due to me being a newb at this.
I was wondering what the other pilots do and what actions they take while using manual pitch control when climbing and most importantly, in combat. In particular, with the 109 series aircraft.
thanks for the continued support.
Quasar
Corporal

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Mon May 22, 2006 10:08 pm

Well the topic of prop pitch (manual) is often talked about in regards to IL-2. The thing is, automatic prop pitch on the G and F versions of the 109 was standard (as it was with the Fw-190), and you have to be very careful using it to avoid frying your engine.

The question is, why do you want to use manual prop pitch with the system that was automatic in real life? Yes, you can in some conditions get a boost in speed by going to manual prop pitch and setting it to 100% but you have to be very careful in doing this (it used to be a cheat, where people used to go to 100% prop pitch and just before the engine fried they went to automatic. The result was a boost in speed and the engine didn’t register the high rpm that should kill it).

Generally the only times that I play with the prop pitch (on German a/c) is when I’m going for maximum cruise range where I set rpm and manifold pressure to max cruise settings.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby Quasar on Tue May 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Thank you.
I have thought abouth the reasons for going 100% pitch and youre right in that letting it go, so to speak, at auto pitch is the best, and safest, method.
Everytime I do go at 100%, the machine over revs and then that clattering sound occurs, letting me know that I am going to have to explain to my chief mechanic, who is obvious frowning at me, and perhaps he will red flag my crate the next time I want to go up. :)
So far as manual mixture control, I just think it's best to leave that alone too. Although, I believe I read somewhere that the BF-109's have only auto mixture control? I do think that that should be left up to the more experienced Sierra Hotel pilots.
Speaking of fuel conservation and optimum pitch/throttle settings for cruise should be 40/40 or 50/50. In this way, I have found that the 109 doesnt need much controller input, which makes me happy. I once placed a post questioning the trim for the 109, and found that there is only elevator control trim. The crate doesnt want to torque as much.
Thanks again,
newbie, who is sometimes sierra hotel.
Quasar
Corporal

Postby Quasar on Tue May 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Ps. Youre image looks awesome, at the bottom of your post.
I wonder why the luftwaffe painted the swirls on their prop hub? Was it to hypnotize their opponent?
anyway, looks cool, I believe those are the fabeled Bf-109G-10s if I am not mistaken.
anyway,
later
Quasar
Corporal

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Tue May 23, 2006 11:01 pm

It’s fun to play around with the controls in a/c, don’t let my comments discourage you from at least fiddling with all of the controls that you can. You can only learn more about the a/c.

In the Olegs BoB you’ll find that the Bf-109E3 has only manual prop pitch so it’s something we’ll have to get used to.

Fuel mixture, yes, most of the German a/c have automatic fuel mixture, supercharger stages, and prop pitch. I say most because there are exceptions to this (but the 109 and the 190 are auto for just about everything).

Fuel mixture can be a issue on other a/c (Zero, Wildcat amongst others). You’ll be at 120% (full rich) fuel mix when you start and take off. However as you can alt you’ll start to notice a drop in power and you’ll be streaming black smoke from your exhaust. You’ll need to reduce fuel mix to 100%. In real life you reduce the fuel mixture as you gain alt as you have less oxygen (thinner atmosphere), otherwise you’d flood the engine. This doesn’t seem to be modelled very well when you gain high alt in IL2 (I could be wrong, I mainly fly Luftwaffe a/c at alt).

Yeah the spirals look cool on the spinners. Click on the signature and you'll see a larger version of the picture (hit F5 and you'll see two different images).
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby Quasar on Thu May 25, 2006 8:09 pm

thanks for all the helpful info.
Quasar
Corporal

Postby 100th_Alien on Mon May 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Good reads guys thx :)

=STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY RIGHT=

http://www.332ndfg.com

alien@332ndfg.com
"The four elements: earth, air, water, and fire. Of these, I call your attention to two: air and fire. As pilots we live in the air, but we die by fire."
100th_Alien
Flight Sergeant

Postby MaXMhZ on Mon May 29, 2006 5:19 pm

I'm also flying German aircraft on automatic mostly. The Russian aircraft do have the need to adjust fuel mixture when you gain altitude and will start producing brownish smoke if you don't go to a leaner mixture. The added advantage ids that you will also increase your range with a leaner mixture, since you consume less fuel

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum