Il-2 Sectional Charts? Opinions?

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Il-2 Sectional Charts? Opinions?

Postby 3./JG51_Specter on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:45 pm

Ever since I've played the Il-2 series, the airbases have been really hard to make out for me. Especially which way the runway is pointed. I could usually pick out the hangar's and towers from a good distance. I would always have to do a flyby to get my bearings first then set up for a landing. It somtimes feels like you're a rat in a maze on the ground also.

So this is the result of about an hours worth of work and my first attempt at a gimp plug-in. I used http://www.runwayfinder.com/legend.html as a legend, and seemed pretty standard to the sectional charts I've seen. The plugin reads a text data file and renders this in gimp.

Of course this is a pre-alpha stage. I used one of F16_Neo grid maps. The colors, fonts, etc ... are all configurable.

What i would like to know is:
  • Has this been done before? I hate reinventing the wheel.
  • Is anyone interested in this or is it just me?
  • Is there any other fields I should include. I have name, concrete or grass strip, altitude and runways at the moment.

Any feedback or input is appreciated.

Thanks
3./JG51_Specter
Lance Air Corporal

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:29 am

Good work putting that together, I'm sure that there will be people out there that will get use out of it.

I haven't seen anyone release maps like this, within SCFG we have most maps with such runway indicators which is great for mission planning.

I like the inclusion of the elv info.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:52 am

Very interesting. Good work!

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum