Aces' Artwork : A plea for correct aircraft markings

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Aces' Artwork : A plea for correct aircraft markings

Postby Aces on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:08 am

Dear all,

As most of you know through my work with IL2-MAT Manager I'm commited to trying to provide you with historically correct aircraft markings. There are however certain things that I cannot achieve because of the way that the game handles such things. Below are examples of the sort of things that I'm referring to.

1. Aircraft only use a MAXIMUM of two MAT files to load national markings. This limitation causes sharing of such markings between fuselage and under-wing such as appears on RAF aircraft and, in the worst case the markings are shared between all three positions, fuselage, under-wing and upper-wing as is the case with all late-war Luftwaffe fighters such as the Bf-109G-14,Bf-109K,Fw-190D, Ta-152 and Me-262 etc.

2. Luftwaffe unit emblems don't appear on both sides of aircraft such as the Bf-109, Fw-190, Ju-87, Ju88, He-111 etc. but bizarely do on the Ju-52, Fw-200 and Gigant so I know it's possible.

I'm asking for your support in requesting that the above issues be fixed by providing three MAT files per aircraft grouping to enable loading of idependant national markings graphics in the three locations described earlier (if no marking was used in a particular location the the relevant MAT file could load the standard "Null.tga" graphic) and that an additional MAT file be used for all Luftwaffe aircraft to load the unit emblem on the starboard side of the aircraft in the same location as the port-side emblem graphic. Lastly I request that all Italian national markings MATs not only include additional under-wing MATs but that they mirror the markings correctly as they do on the Macchis.

If we could achieve this then it would be possible for me to provide you, in a future version of IL2-MAT Manager such things as :

1. Correct RAF under-wing roundels (not shared with fuselage).

2. Correct Luftwaffe balkenkreuze markings shemes for many alternative wartime periods and aircraft types.

3. Correct Italian national markings on all aircraft types especially Bf-109s and Stukas.

4. Many additional possibilities for correct markings on other nationalities for which IL2-MAT Manager uses "surrogate" nationalities ie. Italian ANR markings etc.

I'm making a final plea for your support in this as there's nothing more that I can do and I fear that we may never have the possibility to achieve these things with the IL2/FB/ACE/PF series nearing the end of development. So if you share my interest in correcting these errors please give your support below and spread the word.

Best regards

Leigh/Aces

PS. Mods any chance of making this a "Sticky" for a while please ?. ThanksImage
Aces
Utilities Developer

Postby CrazySchmidt on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:09 am

Consider it stuck my friend.

CS. :)
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:21 am

Aces, please check your PM
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby Aces on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:08 am

Thanks Ian,

I'm checking my PM now :).

Cheers

Leigh

Edit :

I don't seem to have any PMs, did I jump the gun ? or is something knackered ?. I know I am LOL
Aces
Utilities Developer

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:04 am

I've sent it again (it was in my sent box, not too sure what happened).

Cheers
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby Aces on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:02 pm

Thanks mate, I got it, yes please send all info thank you.

Hi all,

Last chance saloon guys, all those MAT Manager users who'd like to see this please post on my SimHQ thread if possible if you haven't already.
I need all the support I can get.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb....topic;f=144;t=005816

Thanks

Aces / Leigh
Aces
Utilities Developer

Postby Aces on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:00 pm

Hi all,

Oh well I just heard and I'm deeply sorry to say that Christian (csThor) got it right.

Not a "snowball in hell's chance" :(

Sorry to get your hopes up and sorry that we'll have to live things like they are, there's so much more that I could have offered had it been otherwise.

Personally I'd rather have the markings correct on the aircraft that we've got than 20 new aircraft especiallty if the new aircraft have in-correct markings too. The RAF and Lufwaffe were two of the major beligerents in WW2.

Thanks to those that supported this and tried so hard to get it, we tried. Thanks to Oleg for taking the time to look into this.

Best regards to all

Leigh (Aces) "Gutted of South London" :)
Aces
Utilities Developer

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:08 pm

Well you did your best Leigh - Maybe Oleg will listen and do a better job with BoB. I don't know what is exactly happening, but with Grennadich team still working on add-on's I'd hoped for a more positive result. I'm not seeing IL-2 FB +add ons die soon. especialy since BoB will need a computer upgrade for the vast majority of players.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum