What do we actually get with the new add-on?

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

What do we actually get with the new add-on?

Postby CrazySchmidt on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:39 am

Hell my head is about to explode! what exactly do we get with the new 46 add-on apart from the Pe-2 add-on as far as planes go?

Shit... I am sick to death of the way the dying stages of this sim are being handled, it reminds me of the movie downfall! No one is sure of the truth mostly because no one knows!! and is it actually worth it? I'm in serious doubt. :roll:

CS :?
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:17 pm

I only know what is in the forums, RRG Studios told me that airwarfare would have exclusive screenshots, previews and interviews with the development team. Unfortunately they ignore all emails and PM messages, Maddox Games do not reply to me either. Incidentally this site sold about 40 IL-2 complete editions and took about 30 pre orders for BOB, we've made hundreds of indirect sales for them over the 6 years we've been running, UBI and RRG are displaying the contempt for their fan base the like of which I have not seen since Microsoft and CFS, makes me feel a little ill :x

feck 'em, I still like the game.

You will get all this and this as well as well as a new default skin pack, several new maps and some Storm Of War promotional stuff, apparently we get a decent manual too :shock: worth it imho.

:twisted: Then you can wait for the 4.08 patch and the secret addon that RRG are developing, then other maps. Plus whatever patches come after that and then perhaps a final DVD lol :roll:

FB, there's life in the ole gal yet :)

New Flyable Aircraft (in Pe-2 addon)
1. Pe-2, 1940 (1 series)
2. Pe-2, 1942 (84 series)
3. Pe-2, 1942 (110 series)
4. Pe-2, 1944 (359 series)
5. Pe-3, 1941
6. Pe-3 bis, 1941

New Flyable Aircraft (in 4.06/4.07)
7. Nakajima Ki-27 Ko, 1938
8. Nakajima Ki-27 Otsu, 1938
9. Nakajima Ki-43-II, 1942
10. Nakajima Ki-43-II Kai, 1943
11. Mitsubishi J2M5, 1944
12. Kawanishi N1K2-Ja, 1944
13. Arado Ar-234B Blitz
14. Dornier Do-335V-13
15. Heinkel He-L-IIIB-2 Lerche
16. Heinkel He-162B
17. Heinkel He-162C
18. Messerschmitt Me-262HG-II
19. Focke-Wulf Ta-152C
20. Focke-Wulf Ta-183

21. Douglas A-20C, 1941
22. Ilyushin Il-10, 1945
23. Bereznyak-Isaev BI-6
24. Lavochkin LaGG-3R
25. Lavochkin La-7R
26. Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-9 Prototype
27. Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-9FS
28. Mikoyan-Gurevich I-250 (MiG-13)
29. Yakovlev Yak-3 VK-107A
30. Yakovlev Yak-3R
31. Yakovlev Yak-15

AI planes
Mitsubishi A5M4, 1938
Nakajima B6N2, 1943
Mitsubishi Ki-21-I, 1937
Mitsubishi Ki-21-II, 1940
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby MaXMhZ on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:28 pm

It seems UBI has announced (I have no direct UBI info or link, this info is from UBI PF forum/SimHQ forum) there will be the 4.06 Manchuria and the 4.07 46 Add-ons as download from Boonty as well as (another) complete edition on 2 DVD's (I hope they mean the real thing, not a download) which will have preview movies of BOB as well as bringing the game upto 4.07m in one go (46 and everything else, including FB,AEP etc) From what I read there will be extensive airplane documentation too (format hardcopy/pdf unknown)
Available mid November 2006.
Oleg recently stated he will not give minimum system requirement info for BoB untill November 2007.

Link to PF 46 Thread]

I've decided to wait and see. I want confirmation there will not be a Starforce protection scheme on the DVD's and I'll wait if (and what) problems will arise for the downloads. The situation doesn't become easier with all these different "complete" and "ultimate" editions around though.
Ian Boys has posted the Manchuria (4.06) add-on has a bonus Burma map. Ian has been working on a Norway map for a while too, so I'm guessing these will be coming (whenever) also. Can't wait for the MiiG and the other jets in 4.07 ;)

Maybe we should charter a plane and raid 'em lol

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:58 pm

It will be a real DVD. The manual is more than likely the cockpit ref guide that was being requested over at SimHQ from RRG, or was it Ian Boys (can't remember).

I'll be holding off from downloading the 4.06 & 4.07 as I don't want to deak with Boonty.

Call me a sucker, but I'll always by a complete edition of a DVD for this series. So that probably means another one with 4.08 LOL.

Nov 07 for BoB - sounds more realistic, Ubi at times need to check their releases (Nov 06 - were they crazy or what!). The good thing is that it give me more time to save up for a PC, though even then I'd be waiting a little while after the release of BoB to buy it.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:05 am

The Nov 07 date is for info release on minimum system only, not release of BoB, which I expect now no sooner than 1st half of '08 If M$ wants $500 for Vista as I've read a couple of weeks ago, I'll probably keep with FB and not update at all to BoB - The money's simply too much. New system plus OS plus game will bring it over $1000 - that's way too much to spend for me.

OOPS - did I edit your previous post Oesau? - sorry - I'll try to correct.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:32 am

Yep, your'e right, min spec realese is not the release date, my bad.

I understand where you are coming from when it comes to the cost. I know many people will be in the same boat. The thing is (and this is if you go down the M$ lane) in time we'll all probably head onto Vista and take the plunge with DirectX 10.

There will of course need to be a carrot hanging in front of me to make the swtich. That for me is FSX which will be a DirectX10 supported sim (first release though is DirectX 9).

At the moment, well, IL2 FB keeps me very happy, so I'll stay put for now.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:09 am

You won't have to wait long for FSX; out the 13th I just saw - looks good too - and it works on XP

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:35 am

FSX is a fps hog for sure, the demo has been interesting to play around with.

Got it running smooth enough while also looking a lot better than FS9. Base line A/C FMs are as per normal not that great but then again I like to go with the add ons anyway.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:19 am

UBI has confirmed release of the DVD to Europe and Australia on http://www.pacific-fighters.com Jason from http://www.GoGamer.com has posted on SimHQ they would make it available to the US "come hell or high water" :D

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:09 am

It's a change to see Australia listed and not the US. The Australian release includes the release in NZ (CS - just keep an eye on http://www.kiwisim.net.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2286).
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby KenleyKid on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:56 am

Apparently there are 3 new "free" maps from Ian Boys included with the DVD's release;

1. Burma - Imphal region, site of the biggest land defeat of the IJA in WW11 and a major RAF v IJAAF air campaign as well.

2. A new desert map which looks very good, much better than the old "sands of time" release. Again perfect for RAF/CW, Luftwaffe and Italian missions. It's probably a bit arid to represent Tunisia.

3. Norway. Striking fjiords scenery. Again great potential for RAF/CW and Luftwaffe missons (especially for Beau's on shipping strikes, Mossie interdiction etc) , as well as the RAF and Norwegian Gladiators, and RAF Hurries v. Luftwaffe early war.

At last some scenery dedicated to non Russian and US subjects. Long overdue considering the massive interest in this game in the UK and Commonwealth methinks.
Unfortunately OM/RRG haven't seen fit to improve on the paltry selection of late war British aircraft at all; no Griffon engined Spits whatsoever, Fairey Firefly, Meteor or Vampire, the latter was operational in 1946 and would have enabled the RAF pilots to join the 46 dogfights - and win!
Nor is there any sign of the biggest cock-up in the history of combat flight sims being rectified; namely the omission of the Hawker Typhoon, despite the provision of an excellent Normandy map. Unbelievable. This was made worse by the "Battle over Europe" add-on ommiting an RAF campaign. Revisionist history of WW11 "a la" Hollywood I wonder? A few more years and I shouldn't wonder if the RAF's role in WW11 is limited to just the BoB!

However I shall buy the new DVD's, just to get my hands on those maps and build some RAF historical missions over the Imphal, desert and Norway.
The addition of those new Japanese planes will make a lot more possible too, even if RRG in their obvious ignorance released them mainly for Russian/AVG campaigns, they were actually the prime opposition of the RAF and Dutch too, over Malaya, Singapore, Java, Borneo, Burma etc.
The AVG were in the minority in Burma, there were always more RAF aircraft active there, though you'd think it was just the AVG in some accounts! For me the real heroes there were the RAF/CW pilots battling Oscars and Nates in Buffaloes (past there sell-by date in 1942), and not getting paid a bounty for doing so!
I'm seriously concerned about this projected "Wings of War" series, other than the BoB, - is it going to be historically representative of what actually happened I ask? Not if what I've seen so far is anything to go by.
:o
KenleyKid
Forum Cynic

Postby CrazySchmidt on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:44 am

IV/JG1_Oesau wrote:It's a change to see Australia listed and not the US. The Australian release includes the release in NZ (CS - just keep an eye on http://www.kiwisim.net.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2286).

Hi Guys,

IV/JG1_Oesau, thanks I will keep an eye open on that.

Max, I am now a little confused by your post. Are you saying that BoB will require Vista as a requirement? Or are you saying that you wish to have Vista but the cost of that product plus the cost of BoB would be too much for your liking. I don't remember reading anywhere about Vista as a requirement for BoB, but then I'm not really keeping up to date at the moment.

All,
Back to my original babble... I was under the impression that 46 was mostly full of jets that didn't see WWII action at all, these aircraft don't interest me at all, but it seems now from some further replies to posts I have read that there will be a healthy representation of piston engine aircraft as well. Is that correct? Is this because somewhere along the line a add-on was missed in the mix and they have now been blended? I have also seen some map development from Ian Boys that looks very cool, in particular the desert map, are these included?

The thing that really gets me with all this, is that in the good old days we had regular official updates of progress and it was easy to follow and keep up to date with. Now it seems unless you are a forum junkie it is very difficult to keep up to date and know what the hell is going on. UBI seem to have an "official unofficial" stance with RRG. 1C seem to be a casual sponsor/mentor to RRG, where as in the past nothing got past Oleg's strict content filter.

Forgive me for saying that this fellas, but the whole thing feels like the project (kill) has been effectively abandoned by the creators (Lions - 1C) and the scraps have been left to the scavengers (hyenas - RRG) to feast on the remains. UBI are merely providing a platform for that to take place. I understand their (UBI) position of being greedy bastards who wish to make a buck from whom ever may provide the software that they can sell to a willing consumer.

I cannot understand why, with such a strong community expressed interest in the WWII era and also considering a strong message from the community that there was a desire for expansion of other theatres in that period that have not yet been explored with this sim, that we now have an offering of post war aircraft. It is my personal opinion that this is primarily the result of personal interest from the developer (RRG) rather than listening to the community. The irony will be of course that far greater revenue may have been gained by listening to community interest rather than pursuing personal perceptions. With retail, a proprietor's personal perception is often not what what sells best.

Oh shit... now I've f**king babbled again... ok I'm blaming you guys :mrgreen:

BTW this is still my favourite site, sooo forgiving for rants by lunatics (me that is fellas).

CS. :oops:
Last edited by CrazySchmidt on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:13 am

CS

In regards to the Vista, I dont think that Max was saying that it's a Vista game (though I'm sure he can correct me on that). Now if BoB is a DirectX 10 only sim, then yes, it will have to be a Vista title. Now I dont know enough to comment on whether or not DirectX10 video cards will see any benefit with using OpenGL.

At this moment it is anyones guess.

As for Oleg and 1C out of the picture with the 4.06, & 4.07 development; No, they haven't just left it to RRG.

The RRG site, if you look at it details what has been offical released as being included in 4.06 and 4.07 (which nows makes up the DVD to be released Nov). The Sturmoviks over Manchuria (4.06) is where all of the props are coming from, and the 46 (4.07) is all the jets and the X-4 missile are from.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:35 pm

CS Sorry, I'm not saying BoB will require Vista. It will require a new and powerfull computer though. It seems a pity to me to keep it running on XP and not update to Vista at that time, but $500 for Vista would make me do that or switch to Linux. In the latter case that would probably mean no BoB for me as I'm fairly certain 1C:Maddox will not port BoB to Linux. Oh well I'm still very happy with FB+ and still have lots of fun - that will only get better with a modern system. I am worried about the BoB development though - It seems to me the developement team keeps putting in feature after feature that's making more demands on system resources most of which I'm doubtfull will add to the attractiveness of the sim. (like the very detailed ground objects - imagine what that will do to playability together with claims of "massive ground battles" I'm afraid they're taking the same way as my ISP who keeps upping bandwidth. They've now reached the cable's capacity and people that have the higher bandwidths are already leaving because they don't reach half of what they pay for.
The Sturmovik 46 edition will have a lot of new flyable piston engine aircraft too although there still are a lot of planes people would like to see in the game. But as far as I'm cocerned FB still is far from dead or even completed and I'm looking forward to future add-ons or even new sims based on the Sturmovik/FB game engine.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:01 pm

I agree, there is a lot left for the current engine to be used for!
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Next

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum