Wing drops violently on carrier takeoff—correct modeling?

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Wing drops violently on carrier takeoff—correct modeling?

Postby SWriverstone on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:13 pm

I successfully did about a dozen carrier takeoffs in a row in the Corsair. Then I went into a Multiplayer mission with a friend, and proceeded to crash on takeoff 3-4 times in a row. WTF?

The problem I'm encountering is the instant I leave the deck, my left wing drops.

I'm at 110% throttle, default weapons loadout, and I'm *not* pulling back too much on the stick (in fact, I'm barely pulling back at all and maintaining speed).

This strikes me as somewhat bogus modeling. Anyone have any tips or reasons for this happening?

Do I just suck? LOL

Thanks,
Scott
SWriverstone
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby SWriverstone on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:59 pm

After reading more, I suspect the left wing dropping is at least partially (if not fully) due to engine torque. Am I right?

What confused me is that this wasn't an issue when I flew the single mission > carrier takeoff #1 in the Corsair. (But maybe the training mission has you flying with zero loadout?)

Scott
SWriverstone
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby SWriverstone on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:24 pm

I hope someone can shed some light on this. I just practiced another 25 carrier takeoffs, and crashed 23 times.

I'm flying the Corsair, launching from a short carrier, with 8 rockets and 100% fuel.

Please understand I'm not a spazz—I'm actually an experienced hang glider pilot in real life! I've tried almost every possible nuance of stick on liftoff...and every time, there are simply no margins. I've tried leaving the stick alone (dead center) and then pulling back slightly...I've tried pulling back slightly while taxiing...I've tried flying down off the deck (just a couple feet) and then gradually sticking back...everything.

Any ideas?
Scott
SWriverstone
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:07 pm

What you need to check is the settings that you are using when flying off line ie. are the torque effects switched on in the options panel? If they are not, it could explain when on-line that the effects are noticed (because the settings are controlled by the hosting server).

There is more to this however. Offline, the carriers can move, online (dogfight servers) objects such as ships, cars, and tanks can’t move. This means of course that if you are loaded up and carrier is stationary you are going to find it impossible to takeoff with a full load.

This may explain why you are getting the wing dip to the left, because by the time you get off the deck you do not have sufficient airspeed and the aircraft in affect, is stalling at high power settings which results in the aircraft rolling from the torque.

So try different load outs and fuel levels. Try taking off from moving carriers and stationary carriers. Note that the default missions in single player have take off 1 and take off 2 missions. The first is from a moving carrier, the 2nd from a stationary carrier. However, the moving carrier is actually not moving very fast at all. You can go into the Full Mission Builder, open the mission file and change the carriers waypoint speeds to say 60kph (so close to the top speed of 30kts). Remember, no wind is modelled therefore you need as much speed from the carrier as possible.

Now I did mention above that on-line the carriers can’t move and bracketed Dogfight servers. The reason for that is, co-op mission hosted online are basically like offline mission where all the AI objects can move, just that others can fly with you.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:29 am

One more thing you can try is to lower the fuel amount you take to 25% and don't carry ordonance. to lower the total weight of the plane. Also keep chocks on untill you have maximum power and kick flaps in just before you leave the deck. Raise gear the instant you leave the deck too. Practice some offline using FMB by placing a carrier on the map, place the plane for takeoff, save the mission to one of the dogfight directories, and "create Server" while not going online. There are several different carriers too - If you select a small one takeoff will be near to impossible. I flew gliders myself, but carrier takeoff is quit something different ;) It can be done with a lot of practice though. It's not the flight model that's not right; in fact it is very good and many effects are implemented. I think torque together with prop-wash, too low takeoff speed and too heavy a plane work together here to make the wing drop
(stall).
The Corsair is a heavy plane to start with. It needs a carrier like the Lexington for takeoff. Even then you will find yourself just a couple of feet off the water. What I do is power the engine up to max power, chocks off, push stick forward to get the tailwheel off the deck (fusilage horizontal for min drag), kick the flaps in and raise the gear when I leave the deck, intentionally diving a little to get more speed, shear just above the water in a very gentle climb untill I have some alt, and then turn/fly away.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby SWriverstone on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Yesterday, I loaded up that same mission (short carrier takeoff in the Corsair) and practiced (no kidding) 40 takeoffs in a row. Out of 40 attempts, I only made it into the air 4 times. Unbelievable!

I know lightening the load would help...but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, LOL. I'm determined to figure out how to get off the deck with 100% fuel and a load of rockets!

A friend of mine claims he could do it all the time...but I think he's lying and challenged him to do 10 successful takeoff in a row (fully loaded from the short carrier). I bet he can't do it!

I've been going to max power before removing the wheel chocks...but I didn't think of raising the tail or lowering flaps just before leaving the deck...I'll try that!

Scott
SWriverstone
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:13 pm

:lol: If your friend claims he can do it all the time I bet he doesn't mean in a dogfight game with a short carrier with a full bombload. If he does, simply make a simple dogfight map and host it. He'll go into the ditch as hard as anyone else. You can only do it with heavy ordonance in a Coop style game with a big xarrier, and only with a moving one at that. It's not coincidental that carriers were turned ïnto the wind" during WW II for takeoff.
So it's not the flightmodels - these are very good in IL-2. If we ever get a Sopwich Camel (I've heard rumours this is supposed to come in BoB) I foresee the biggest uproar this community has ever seen - The camel had a very powerfull (and heavy) rotary engine and had a gyroscopic effect because of this. It was responsible for the majority of deaths. When you have this effect, the result of a pilot input (say turn-right) is translated 90 degrees perpendicular. - you turning right would make the plane go into a dive. Trying to correct (fighting) this will make the whole airplane tremble around the rotary engine and totally unstable. If you have a Technical school with aMechanical department nearby, give them a visit and ask if they have a gyroscope and would explain a bit about it. You'll be fascinated.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Hedgehog on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:33 am

This might seem like sheer insanity, and I acknowledge that I am a rookie in Pacific Fighters. But when taking off from a carrier in the Corsair I do NOT throttle up into WEP. I set the throttle at 99% or 100% (as high as it will go without the water injection light coming on) and take off at that setting. To me, it seems like there's WAY more engine torque (tending to dip the left wing) at 110% than there is at 100%, for not much more speed at the end of the deck.

When the wheels roll off the end of the deck, I give a little back stick and just shade of right aileron. THEN raise gear, close canopy, and retract flaps as quick as I can.

If I'm heavy, I might shove the throttle to 110% AFTER I'm off the end of the deck, but not before.

-Hedgehog
Hedgehog
Air Cadet Level 1

Watch the training vid.

Postby :FI:Sneaky on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:52 am

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/F4U.html

Seems the FM is pretty good , even if a tad underpowered for carrier take-off.
:FI:Sneaky
Air Cadet Level 1

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum