Being a rear gunner inside a SBD-3

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Being a rear gunner inside a SBD-3

Postby pollemix on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:13 pm

I´m having this problem:

I´m the rear gunner. The pilot is flying his flight path. Looks like ALL japs knows the way to bring us down: flying my 6 o clock low... any attempt to intercept them with the machinegun will vanish both vertical & horizontal tail wings.

Question is: since pilot is in Autopilot and I´m busy back there with the machine gun... how can I make the pilot break his actual flightpath so I can have a better shooting solution?

My only option right now is to toggle to Pilot, undo the automatic, make a quick and sudden move, go back to Autopilot, toggle back to RearGunner... just to realize it´s too late already.

Any idea?

thanks again,

-pó
pollemix
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:40 pm

Is this in a mission through the Quick Mission Builder?
Are there any other planes in your wing?
Is your plane the wing leader?

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby pollemix on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:23 pm

Hello again MaxMhz!

I´m playing the Single Missions. There´s just two planes in this mission and I am not the wing leader (it´s the other guy)

Saludos!

- pó
pollemix
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:45 pm

oops than you did about all you could. If you were the wing leader you could command a new heading several times, maybe assign them to a script you could execute through console commands (see http://scripts.sturmovik.de/html/index_english.html) that way you can pack a lot of commands into a simple console reply... This would give some extra time to gun down the bogey.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby pollemix on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:55 pm

After days of salt water and lead diet I must tell you I finally finished that mission.

3 Zekes against 2 SBD-3, one bogey in your 6 and another getting ready for a himmelman towards your way is just too much for a robo-pilot and a gunner with a handfull.

The only way out? being the pilot and try hard to have at least one jap always in front of you while you dodge the bullets from the other two... until they all run out of ammo.

Two things: you leave your wing companion on his own (not that ethical) and the most disgusting fact of it: there is a code somewhere in the game´s AI where the winning party (in this particular case, the bloody ZEKES) do a "farewell dance around you" while you crawl back to your ship with no windshield left and holes all around me.

Max: where can I learn more about scripts? Excuse my ignorance but I could not find any clue that the link you kindly gave me would somehow help me (timescript, timelapsescript, misioncyclescript, iconscript??)

I made a mistake last time. It´s the 4th mission from the Pilot Career: SBD-3 Coral Sea (pilot 1st class). Try to play it and tell me how that one go!!

Thanks again Max,

-apg
pollemix
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:13 pm

Scripts are shortcuts for console commands. You can find more information at M4T's Knowledge base
Console Commands

rcu file explained

The script zipfiles you can download from IL-2 Scriptpark have some info included in them too.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum