Why have autopilot function

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Why have autopilot function

Postby Tony Lecart on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:47 pm

I have been playing this game for quite some time now mainly as a medium bomber. I know the auto pilot can be turned off but what is the point of being able to play a whole mission with this switched on this enabling completion of mission and proceed to next.

This is like playing another non flight game as a cheat. Therefore I think it should be excluded from the game completely. Also autopilot has to be turned in order for your bomber mates to drop thier bombs when you do otherwise nothing happens. Really stupid.

Thoughts on this anyone. I would really try much harder with this game if I knew there was no autopilot function-yes I do use it but would rather not. It makes the game less challenging. I am not very often challenged by enemy fighters most missions are just a long boring journey to the target and back. :(

Thoughts anyone
Tony Lecart
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:16 pm

You can use the Tab key and following menu's to give commands to AI wingmen. You don't need the autopilot feature for that. Granted they are not following commands all that good, you might need to issue commands several times and when they see enemy planes they all instantly think they are fighters and need to attack. Offline and AI are not that good in IL-2. It's online where this combat simulator really rules.

I would advice to post messages concerning IL-2/Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters etc at our sister site http://www.mission4today.com - that site is dedicated to the IL-2 series combat flight sims and you would get a lot more responses - and a lot sooner too (sorry for the late reply).
This site has evolved into http://www.airwarfare.com and is now part of a bigger scheme. There are a lot of free downloads for IL-2 at M4T, and a very active community. This site and it's forums are more meant as a continued support. - we don't like to delete things. You can find skins,campaigns, missions, utilities and everything else for IL-2 at http://www.mission4today.com ;)
Try some of the missions and campaigns (Download section) there - they are of a very high standard, matching, if not surpassing commercial add-ons for IL-2. There is also a continuously updated Knowledge base (In the left menu on the home page) about the IL-2 series.

Take a look - it's free and I think you will enjoy it.

Hope this helps,

MaX

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Mission4today

Postby Tony Lecart on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:08 pm

Thanks Max

Yes I do use tab key and you are right I should post on M4T forum but I could not remember my log in details. Never played on line, not sure you can use ju-88's for this, thought only for fighters. Autopilot is a kind of cheat I think, though I am ashamed to say I have used it when I have done something wrong, but the option should not be there in the first place otherwise you will never learn from mistakes.
Tony Lecart
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:22 pm

I don't think it would be a problem to register a second time :D
If that should raise a problem, check the members list here, sort it by joining date in ascending order. At the top will be EURO_Snoopy, the founder of Airwarfare and M4T; just click the email button and ask advice how to get into M4T again. I'm sure he will be glad to help you.
Any plane that is flyable can also be flown online.
This includes the Ju 88-A4 (IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 +Patch 4.08m).
v4.08m requiring the Sturmovik 1946 DVD and the free patch 4.08m is flown online by 99.99% of players at http://www.hyperfighter.sk (the free hyperlobby client can be downloaded there). There are about 500-700 people flying in a lot of IL-2 Sturmovik games 24/7 through hyperlobby. At this moment there are 912 people playing Forgotten Battles (as seen at the site's main page in the right status window). In the left window are links to download the client.
And the Autopilot doesn't work in online dogfights... But then, respawning (starting again) is easy enough. ;)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum