Suggestions For Updating Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Suggestions For Updating Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users

Postby Luckyboy1 on Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:43 am

I was hoping that I could wait until like, April to update the Guide again, but technology and code marches on and it looks like we'll need to update it before then. I'll have more time during late December and as a result, I'm looking for suggestions now on how to improve the Guide. So far I plan on adding...

1) A link to Bearcat's essentials

2) A link to Tully's excellent joystick guide. Speaking of joysticks, I'd love to include information on the pros and cons of purchasing this or that joystick. I'd like to do it without it turning into a commercial for CH products, so if you have any suggestions or links to products I should look at, please let me know.

3) Organizing and editing my psychotic diatribe on heating and power issues to reflect the increased power needs on the 12 volt rail(s) and the corresponding decline (in my opinion) of the quality of product that Antec puts out.

4) The game seems more demanding of RAM than ever before and will simply not put up with the number of misreads and miswrites we could get away with back in the ACE days. Unfortunately, I'm not happy with what I have so far on the subject. I now tell people to take the PC out of 1:1 and put it in 3:2 and see if it crashes at same speed. If it doesn't, then it's the RAM fer sure! However, this has limitations.

a) If the user in question has run up the overclocking so far that even putting it in 3:2 won't stop it from crashing, then that diagnostic option is not so hot.

b) Some may not have the bios option to put their lil 'puter in 3:2 or 5:4 and while it is true that those working at stock speeds will run into less trouble, RAM problems still happen.

So as a result, it would be great to provide a link to a utility that truly stresses the living sh!t out of the RAM in question; any ideas?

5) I'd also like to include information on 939 pin AMD's, but I'm poor and have no direct experience with the 939 pin AMD 64's. Any information on would be appreciated.

6) PCI express is out and off to less than a bang in improvement over AGP. Still, it's what they're going to, so we need to include an easy to read bit of information on that one and how the power requirements have changed for PCI Express vs. AGP. Again any information would be appreciated.

7) nVidia has now come out with the ability to run two graphics cards at once. So far I'm not impressed, but maybe someone can buy me a clue on that one.

8) I plan on including more information on CPU and graphics card scaling. I'm sure you all have seen the link I put up when arguing this point...

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjMy

Do you know of any other links that you might think would work better?

9) Hopefully, by January when I plan on putting out the next edition of the Guide, the patching of Pacific Fighters will be mostly settled... or is this an unrealistic hope?

10) Many have expressed a desire and willingness to pay for a Mediterranean add-on. I'd like to include instructions on the most direct way to contact 1C and Oleg to let them know we'd fork over the bucks for another add-on. Any ideas on exactly how to do this?

Remember, all those who contribute to the guide will get mentioned as usual. Also remember I'm interested in having a user friendly guide that has easy to read and follow instructions. Don't be shy about criticizing anything in the Guide. The idea is to promote the game and not my belief system. My intentions are to save those new to the game the pain most of us have experienced in the learning curve.
Read Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users...

Luckyboys Guide

For all your hardware needs...

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum