What program language(s) do you use

Dedicated Forum for developers of programs/utilities. To announce new or updated products, to share knowledge and ideas for development.

Moderator: CrazySchmidt

What program language(s) do you use

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:24 am

Well title says it all, I assume VB/C++ will rank high...

I'm using Delphi 7 myself.

Building a conf.ini editor at the moment ;) still not finished, but I will post some screenshots later today :D

...doesn't look half as good as what you guys have :D

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Re: What program language(s) do you use

Postby CrazySchmidt on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:38 pm

MaXMhZ wrote:Well title says it all, I assume VB/C++ will rank high...

I'm using Delphi 7 myself.

Building a conf.ini editor at the moment ;) still not finished, but I will post some screenshots later today :D

...doesn't look half as good as what you guys have :D

Hi MaXMhZ,

I started with Delphi 3 and wrote a couple of quoting/costing type apps for work before I moved to VB and I really enjoyed it. I moved to VB because I also do a lot of customisation programming with AutoCAD and the MS office suite for work so it seem to make more sense so move to that format.

I am currently using VB6 although I have written one small app in .Net. Man in places that felt like having to learn a new language with all the syntax changes :roll: Oh well I know I can't keep away from it for ever, but for now at least.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. :)
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby 4Shades on Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:00 am

Hi Guys,

I started out modestly with Perl doing some post-mission statistics stuff (see an output example here http://tba.iinet.net.au/JG7_data/expvol ... Record.htm), but now I work in Javascript, VBscript, ASP/SQL and VB .NET. Oh, and Photoshop too.

I really only started programming VB .NET 6 months ago, and I was amazed at how simple it is to get things going with Visual Studio. I am a Fortran programmer from way, way back, and man things have become a whole lot easier since then! :)

Some other guys on the Scorched Earth team are looking at PHP now, so I guess I will learn that soon too.

Cheers,
4Shades
4Shades
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby WWSensei on Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:31 am

Mostly C++ because that is what I use at work. Can do Java as well.
WWSensei
Flight Sergeant

Postby UberDemon on Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:13 pm

Nowadays VB only... because it is a hobby.

In my previous lives I programmed in ANSI C, C++, Visual C++, C++ Builder, Turbo C++, Intel Assembly, Motorola Assembly, FPGA and GAL chip programming, OrCAD programming, FORTRAN 77, QBASIC/BASIC. I also dabbed a little in Visual J++, and Delphi 1.0 a long time ago, but I could never could get a hang of Pascal... seemed somewhat close enough to C to just confuse me... :)

Demon/UberDemon
Best Regards,
Demon/UberDemon
http://www.uberdemon.com
uberdemon at uberdemon.com
UberDemon
Utilities Developer

Postby Tully on Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:39 pm

Pascal is really limited anyway, unless the compiler you're using has a lot of non standard features added. It was only ever intended as a teaching language. To get any sort of flexibility out of it you had to include a whole bunch of library fuctions written in other languages or use non-standard Pascal that made the source non-portable.
Tully
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:54 pm

Tully wrote:Pascal is really limited anyway, unless the compiler you're using has a lot of non standard features added. It was only ever intended as a teaching language. To get any sort of flexibility out of it you had to include a whole bunch of library fuctions written in other languages or use non-standard Pascal that made the source non-portable.

I don't think Pascal is limited at all - though it's strongly typed and you can't "mess" a lot like in other languages but then I've allways found ways to do what I want (even TSR programs under DOS and self-modifying code) :D

I forgot to tell what other languages I used - Assembly (6502 6809-68000 8008 - 80586/Z80), Forth, Basic, Pascal, Fortran, PL/I, a little C and some scripting/macro languages (WordPerfect, Brief that sort of thing).

Pascal is still my favourite :D

I'm having a hard time adopting to Object Oriented Programming though...

OrCAD as a programming language? - I thought OrCAD is an electronics design CAD program ;)

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby WWSensei on Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:35 pm

I'm having a hard time adopting to Object Oriented Programming though...

I used to as well then one day things just clicked and I got it. Now I can't think of any other way to code...
WWSensei
Flight Sergeant

Postby UberDemon on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:46 pm

MaXMhZ wrote:OrCAD as a programming language? - I thought OrCAD is an electronics design CAD program ;)

Yes,

OrCAD is an AutoCAD for electronic circuits. The LAB I was in had the entire package, which included controller PC interface which linked to a molule that programmed and burned chips. The scripting looked like... well, a bunch of 0s and 1s. It escapes my memory the exacts of it, but you could use OrCAD as a designing tool, basically a graphical tool, but you could set the values on the chips and run simulation on it. Based on the results, you could burn the chip from OrCAD with certainty that they would behave as in the simulated process. After a while I got pretty proficient at it, and I wrote an instruction manual that I believe was used for subsequent training classes. We were doing mostly low cost chip programming of GALs and PALs. The full CAD package was fairly costly and they used some sort of encryption dongle attached to the parallel ports of the workstations. At the time, I think 1993, that was fairly advanced. In fact even in 2001, Lightwave used that type of licensing key as well.

One summer we had some engineers from TI come visit and we received training on a type of chip they called FPGA, or field programmable gate array; quite more advanced than the GAL/PAL stuff. After reading your post, I went back to my closet and opened my "tackle" box, full of resistors, chips, and my breadboard... and sure enough I ran into an FPGA... I wonder if that thing still works... a TI 32902TWAL TPC1010AFN-068C... ah, the memories. I have not touched OrCAD in a long time... I guess as Dilbert would probably say... I got infected with the corporate IT management virus... ha ha!
Best Regards,
Demon/UberDemon
UberDemon
Utilities Developer

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:02 pm

Started with electronic design on OrCad in about '84/'85

I got the V9.0 Capture CIS, Express Plus, Layout Plus, PSpice A/D and PSPice Optimizer.

Thank god - no dongle :D

But I never use it anymore - only ever used it to design electronics. No simulation ;)

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby CrazySchmidt on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:41 pm

The very first programming I ever got involved in was AutoLISP with AutCAD. Didn't think it was worth mentioning before, really great for AutoCAD programming.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. :)
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby UberDemon on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:25 pm

MaXMhZ wrote:Started with electronic design on OrCad in about '84/'85

I got the V9.0 Capture CIS, Express Plus, Layout Plus, PSpice A/D and PSPice Optimizer.

Thank god - no dongle :D

But I never use it anymore - only ever used it to design electronics. No simulation ;)

Oh My God... I forgot all about PSpice... man we're all OLD!!!
Best Regards,
Demon/UberDemon
UberDemon
Utilities Developer

Postby Aces on Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm using VB 6 Professional. I've said many a time that I'm not a programmer :). My interest in programming extends only to getting it to do what I want, my real intertest is the graphical side of things and of course the challenges of getting new markings ideas and options to fruition. I wanted to use the non dot-net version for IL2-MAT Manager because I didn't want folks to have to download all that dot-net framework stuff.

Cheers and Regards

Aces
Aces
Utilities Developer

Postby tankeriv on Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:49 pm

I am using PHP for creating web applications.
Java for,,,,, actually I still don't know I am trying to learn it for more than two years now but I have a dislike for it because it is very picky at bugs.
And in Java bugs are easy to make.
Furthermore I know how to program BASIC, and Pascal :twisted:
tankeriv
Lance Air Corporal

Postby CPS_Shadow on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:12 am

VFP and C++ mainly nowadays.

Started with BASICA

Then... 8086/8088 Assembler

Then...

dBaseIII, COBAL/RPG, Pascal, C, QBasic, VB, Java, JScript, VBScript
CPS_Shadow
CPS_Shadow