Install without internet?

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Install without internet?

Postby unreasonable on Fri May 09, 2008 9:43 am

I have downloaded the trial VAC and got it running successfully on my old computer, which is internet connected running IL2. I like the program and intent to buy it - if I can get it running on my new games computer, which is not internet connected. When I try to install I get a message about a prerequisite MSXML6.0sp1.prq (MS service pack something or other?) and then the installer tries to connect to the internet - which of course it cannot. Installation fails.

Can I install VAC on a computer which is not internet connected? (Trail version or full version). How?

Help appreciated.
unreasonable
Air Cadet Level 1

Re: Install without internet?

Postby Shift_E on Fri May 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Hello,

At this time Microsoft has not released a redistributable pack for MSXML6, so the installer needs to download it and because of licensing I can not included the MSXML6 files with the install package for VAC. You can go here and download the files and transfer the MSXML6 install to your non-internet computer. Install MSXML6 first then install VAC and all should go fine.

Sorry for the extra hoops you need to jump through,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby unreasonable on Fri May 09, 2008 9:10 pm

Appreciate the quick reply: but I am afraid that does not work.

I downloaded and installed msxml6.msi on my games machine XP bootup partition successfully and restarted, attempted to run VAC installer and got the same result as before. So I tried msxml_SDK.msi (no idea what the SDK bit means) - same result.

I also tried installing in my Vista partition - in this case the installer ran and reported success, all looked OK, but when I went to the target folder, the vacbuilder and vacsystem exes were missing. Running the KBtest.exe returned an error message saying "one of the components is out of date, please visit the developer's website" or something like that.

This is also what happens if I run the installer in the Vista partion but target the install to the XP partition.

Am I missing something?
unreasonable
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby Shift_E on Sat May 10, 2008 12:09 am

Hello,

Argh, I hate installation issues. :? First there are two different installs of VAC, one is for XP and one is for Vista, I’ll assume you used the correct installs. I tested the installs on freshly installed Windows XP and Vista, so we’ll have to figure out what is the difference between newly installed Windows and your game machine. Are you running with updated Windows, i.e. (SP2)? You said this is a game machine, have you turned any services off as performance tweaks? Are you installing VAC and the MSXML6 as administrator? Is there any loaded software that would prevent the installation of other software?

SDK stand for Software Development Kit it is more than you need, but shouldn't hurt anything. It is possible to install VAC manually, but finding the problem your machine has with the install would be best.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby unreasonable on Sat May 10, 2008 3:10 am

Sorry about the mix up with Vista/XP - forgot they were separate installs.

Actually I am just trying to install VAC in the XP partition of my New pc, but as I cannot install into one partition of my Old pc the problem is obviously more general.

My Old pc is XP only, HD partitioned into two boot ups: Games (no internet) and Work (internet).

In Work, I downloaded VACxp, installed - the installer transfered files from saturn somewhereorother.
The builder exe runs. The vacsystem runs and works with IL2 (which is actually installed in Games but which can be run in Work).

If I try to install VAC in Games (still in Old pc) I get the message about the prerequisite not being met. I cannot connect to internet from Games.

I downloaded MSXML6.0 from MS and then copied the download onto Games desktop. I rebooted into Games and ran the MSXML6.0 install, which reported success.

I then attempted to install VAC in Games. I get the same message as before.

If I try to run the VACsystem in Games by using a shortcut to the exe installed in Work I get an error message saying a component is out of date please visit the website etc. If I do the same with vacbuilder exe I get a message saying MSCOMCT2.OCX is not correctly registered, a file is missing or invalid...so I think this is something to do with having a dual boot system. D**** MS for making this necessary.

I am off to the shops to see if I can find a long enough telephone extension lead to temporarily connect my New pc to the internet. (Long and tiresome story to do with incompetent builders....) Also trying to establish what service packs installed in New pc.
unreasonable
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby unreasonable on Sat May 10, 2008 11:14 am

OK all in order. I trooped off and found 20metres of telephone connection and stuck my modem in.....installer calls up and downloads something, now everything works. I can only assume the link to the MS site is not to the correct updated files? Anyway I am off to the VAC site to buy the license, thanks for the help.
unreasonable
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat May 10, 2008 4:09 pm

Sorry to barge in on this thread; did you check you own your folders/files?

Check if the Read-Only attribute is set and if so, if you can reset it. After reset check if it is really still reset and did not turn back on. If it does turn itself back on you have a file/folder ownership problem. This is the predecessor of Vista's UAC on NTFS formatted partitions.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)